Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Remaining True to Our Constitution and To Myself


One of the things that I promised myself when I started this blog was that I would be true to my own voice.  I have watched, read and listened to all the talk about the Mosque and Cultural Center that will be built just blocks away from Ground Zero. Most of the right is against and most of the left is for.  Many of the arguments that I have heard against it don't hold true to our values as Americans. 

I have seen pictures of the protests with signs saying that when we can build a church in Mecca they can build a mosque at ground zero.  What exactly is that saying?  To me people are saying that because the Saudis are intolerant that is ok for us to be intolerant as well.  That is, at best, twisted logic.  Our constitution guarantees the freedom of religion.  There is no way around that. 

I remember right after 9/11 many around the country said that by changing who we are is giving the terrorists exactly what they wanted.  Where did that thought process go?  Isn't this the same thing?  Is it that we really want to change our beliefs to stave off a "Muslim invasion"? 

Today I was reading about Mayor Bloomberg's comments and watched the video on Another Black Conservative.  He actually made a very articulate argument against the mosque being built. I applaud his thoughtfulness in his post. 

I also came across another at Verum Serum that I really agree with.  The mosque is insensitive, the Imam is troubling, the location that they chose borders on the perverse, yet it is perfectly legal.  While I understand the misgivings that many have, we must remain true to our constitution and to our values.  If we allow the terrorists to take that away from us out of fear, than we may as well wave the white flag and declare them the winners.  I realize that this is not going to be a popular belief among conservatives, but adherence to our constitution must always come first.  So go ahead and let me have it, but think for just a second about what I am trying to say first.  Our freedoms must come first. 

11 comments:

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

The law is the law. We're a nation built on respect for the law and when that's gone, so are we. So let 'em build it.

I just don't want to hear any complaints when about a thousand people stand outside their door everyday with giant crosses, saying the Rosary and singing "Amazing Grace".

Heather Chandler said...

I applaud you for speaking your mind. And you know what? You made me think.

I'm really against them building the mosque. I think it's a slap in the face to all of us, especially those that died and those that lost someone in the attacks. I'd rather a memorial to the victims be placed there.

But I'm a firm believer in liberty and freedom of speech. Something you say or do might offend me, but you have a right to say or do whatever as long as it doesn't interfere with my life.

And as mad as I am about the mosque at Ground Zero, it really doesn't interfere with my life. And government shouldn't really have the power to stop someone from building something somewhere just because it makes people upset. I'm sure some people were upset over the Harry Potter Theme Park, but that doesn't mean you should use the police power of government to block it.

Sorry about ranting on your page. Just mainly wanted to say thanks for making me think. :)

Just a conservative girl said...

Hazaa:
Thanks for seeing what I am trying to say, the very last thing we should be trying to do is allowing the government to make choices about houses of worship.

I don't think the mosque is a good idea either, but it is lawful.

hometown guy said...

thanks for this, and i'm glad to see this treated as the constitutional freedom issue it is, regardless of people's personal feelings about the house of worship in question.

Opus #6 said...

JACG, hey, it's your blog. Where else should you be able to speak your mind if not here.

The way I see it, religious groups in America have freedom. That is one of the main reasons this country was founded.

On the other hand, imagine for a minute that a bunch of people went around murdering other people. Imagine that they targeted innocents, children, women and non-combatants. Maybe they follow someone called Charles Manson. Imagine for a moment that they call their activities "religious". Are they a protected group?

What if the Manson Religion spreads and gains adherents here and there who raise money and open schools teaching the Manson way. The students don't actively run around murdering (yet) but much of the money raised goes to the main group of murdering thugs.

Imagine that this group, after murdering people worldwide for centuries, including Americans, pulled off a great big stunt and managed to murder 3000 in one blow. And their adherents wanted to build a big "religious" center as close as possible to the site of the mass murder, and have an opening day on the 10th anniversary of the mass murder.

Sounds pretty sick, doesn't it?

Just a conservative girl said...

Opus:
Than that is the discussion we should be having. I realize that many in the country do not feel that Islam is a true religion and it more like a cult.

If that is the case, then yes government can and should get involved. But until Islam is labeled as such, it is lawful for the mosque to be built.

What I really want is for people to call things what they are and to be consistent in what they are asking for. If Islam is a religion, we have to allow the mosque, it if is not, than work at getting labeled in this country as such.

Opus #6 said...

It is not a religion if they kill you when you try to leave.

Just a conservative girl said...

It is hard to argue with that. I am not disagreeing with you, I am just trying to clarify the discussion that the nation is having.

For the record, I don't think the mosque is a good idea, I just think at this particular point we don't have a choice.

There are downfalls to our system, and the radical Islamic terrorists know it and use it. But how do we change that without changing the fabric of our country and the protections that our constitution provides? If you can answer that, you will make boat loads of money!!!

Opus #6 said...

We keep agitating for what is right. It took Samuel Adams 15 years of politicking and pamphleteering (the original blogger) before the American Revolution broke out. But the revolution had already occurred. In the hearts of men. Our wise forefathers.

hometown guy said...

ok, CG might get this but i'm sure everyone else will see it as provocative, although it's not meant to be.

islam is the second largest religion in the world. there is no question that it is a real religion, not a cult. look up the definitions of both words if you're not sure.

the actions of some deranged murderers who believe in some distorted version of that religion don't make the above fact any less true.

Just a conservative girl said...

Just because it has that many followers doesn't mean it isn't a cult.

I am not saying it is, I am just saying that one fact doesn't make it so. As Opus said, you will be killed if you try and leave the religion.

I personally do believe that it is a religion. But, I don't think it is compatible with western culture. Why they choose to move here is beyond me. I have very close friends who are Muslim and are very devote. Right now her kids are little, and she realizes that if she wants them to adhere to Islam she will have to take them back to the Middle East. I will be sad to see her go, but I realize that she is right. The longer someone is in this country the more Americanized you will become.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative