Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Liberal Dictonary - Man Up = Gay Slur

I hope to learn something new everyday, as there is so much information out there I should try and take advantage of the age we live in.  Today, I learned that the phrase "man up" is really a gay slur, at least according to Melinda Hennenberger, editor in chief at Politics Daily.  Who knew? 

Poor. stupid, conservative me always thought that the phrase man up meant that you grow a spine and do the right thing, even if it is hard.  But, I guess I am just showing my stupidity that comes with conservative beliefs. 

And shouldn't we at least be asking whether there's any connection between these increasingly common taunts, from candidates who act like they're in the seventh grade, and the heartbreaking recent spate of bullying of and attacks on gay kids?



While Melinda does concede that the Latin King Goonies didn't directly take cues from Sharon Angle and Christine O'Donnell telling their male counterparts to "man up".  I find this refreshing because I have to seriously question if gang members in New York are spending a great deal of time watching senate debates taking place on the other side of the country.  Especially since the beatings actually took place before the Angle/Reid debate.  But, why let pesky facts get into the way of good conservative beat down? 

Now, to be fair, she did call out a democrat as well; Robin Carnahan.  So, I guess that should be proof that this wasn't one sided.  After all, liberals are just trying to be fair, right?  Wrong.  If she sat for a few minutes she would have realized that what she was saying is that gay men aren't really men. What other explanation is there for thinking this is a gay slur? 

I would have to do some research, but I don't think the Ms. Hennenberger did a column pointing out the use of the term "tea bagger".  One can make a much stronger argument that using that term is more of gay slur than Man Up will ever be.  But, what I do know? I am just a conservative woman who is supposed to act like a lady.  We won't even get into the hypocrisy of a liberal feminist using that term. 




3 comments:

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

News to me. I figured it was right in the same realm as "Be a man". "Stand up".

I guess they had to tell me. kinda like "niggardly". Who knew?

Matt said...

It doesn't matter what we say, it will ALWAYS be raaaaacist, homophobic, islamophobic, or whatever the flavor of the day is.

Opus #6 said...

You have always been a lady.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative