Monday, March 22, 2010

Some Observations of Last Night at the Capitol


As I spent last night with fellow tea partiers down at the Capitol Building I couldn't help but make a few observations:

There truly are some crazy people out there.  There were some Obama fans there, as well as the Catholics for Social Justice.  Now, they are Americans and have every right to be there too, that isn't my issue.  One of them must have forgotten to take her lithium last night.  She was running after me and telling me that I had no soul.  She believes that this travesty is the right thing to do, I get that.  I don't understand it, but I get it.  But, why she believes that I don't have a soul is beyond me.  She also was telling people that she is a doctor that has a 30 year old daughter that doesn't have any insurance.  Excuse me, but if you are doctor can't you afford to help your daughter out for a while and get her insurance?  Doctors make a decent living, she should be able to help out her daughter while she is uninsured.  She this is the difference, I believe that you help your own, she believes that the government should be doing it for you. 

It was hard to tell exactly who was for and who was against, as not everyone was carrying signs making it obvious where they stood.  I got into a conversation with someone who obviously was part of the vote yes crowd.  At one point he was telling me everything that was wrong with conservative Christians, and at least Catholics have a intermediary between people and God.  Fundmentalists, he said, believe that God speaks through them.  Why he felt the need to tell me this I am not sure.  We also did talk about points of the bill, well sort of.  Of course Bush was brought up, the Iraq war, and the usual talking points.  I told him that is a child's answer and it has to stop being made about party and talked about by what is right for all Americans.  If we keep up this tit for tat problems will never be solved.  He firmly believes that anything the CBO says is 100% correct.  Hmm, I wonder if that is true if it were a republican bill that he doesn't like?  See, I don't trust the CBO to be correct on anything as they are limited to what they can use, and the government always spends more money than they say they are going to. 

The signs for "do this for Uncle Teddy" made an appearance. 

The La Raza people came and joined us at one point.  One was wearing a T-shirt that said, Undocumented and Not Hiding.  Interesting that one would choose to wear that on the property of the Capitol, but they are correct that they have nothing to fear from this administration. 

Just before the vote, I had to use the ladies room.  While I was walking down the hallway I ran into Congressman Paul.  Well, his office was open and I went in.  He told me that America was committing suicide tonight, and it would pass  because the democrat majority was too high and they couldn't stop it.  He had to go and vote so I didn't get the chance to ask if he believed that we could repeal this or leave it unfunded until a new president is elected. 

Congressman King is a good man.  He kept coming out and telling us what was going on.  After the vote he came down to the side lawn where we were and talked to all of us in person.  Michele Bachmann also came and talked to us and explained to us what the next steps that the republicans would be taking. 

As much as I don't like the woman's politics, I have to admit that Pelosi is a savvy politican. 

13 comments:

hometown guy said...

no comment on the legislation, which as you know we disagree on. just wanted to make a quick note on the undocumented immigrants not having anything to fear from obama thing.
i'm guessing you didn't know this, but the rate of deportations has gone up since obama took office. the 387,790 illegal immigrants removed by ICE in 2009 was a new record.
thought you might like to know because i know from previous conversations that you like to be as fact-based as possible, which i appreciate.

The Conservative Lady said...

Thanks for the inside story on your experiences last night. Thanks to you and all of those who hung in there until the very end.
As for the illegal aliens...they know the next thing up on Obama's agenda is amnesty. He needs their votes.

LL said...

It's good to hear from Hometown Guy (above) that deportations have increased. However when you consider that not only Mexican and Central American Nationals can just walk across most of the border but so can Middle Easterners whose agenda might not be "finding work".

As to the ObamaNation - they are what I expect them to be. Ok, maybe worse.

Thanks for the report from the steps of the Capitol Building.

Anonymous said...

Last night was a travesty. When did a country of immigrants who weathered horrible conditions on ships to come to our coiuntry suddenly become little children who need to be taken care of?

Maybe it stems from the education system, has strayed far from the 1826 Noah Webster Definition: "Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefullness in their future stations."

ArthurRex12 said...

All I have to say about this is that the bill must be repealed. I don't care what kind of gutter language is in that travesty of a bill, they can't take away everything. There must be SOMETHING we can do before November to slow this monstrosity down more before we drive a harpoon through its heart.

Just a conservative girl said...

Hometown Guy:
It is good to hear that deportations are up. Thanks for the info. To be honest, it really isn't a topic that I have paid much attention to as of late. Bigger fish to fry lately.

But, as a first generation American, I do have a very strong opinion on it (I am sure you are shocked to hear that!!).

My parents came in the front door and learned the language. If they could do it, so can everyone else. And yes, I realize that the current laws make it virtually impossible for Mexicans to come legally. We can change that without giving amnesty.

Opus #6 said...

JACG, thanks for the report, and for being there representing us.

Just a conservative girl said...

TCL:
I was really fried this week and it was showing. But, on Saturday I went to Mount Vernon and the zoo for the day. While walking along the river I was told that I needed to be at the Capitol, because look at what Washington did for our constitution, the very least I could do was drive 20 minutes and raise my voice. That is what Washington expected when he signed it.

Left Coast Rebel said...

Great account! I love your sign and am proud of the work that you are doing and have done for this nation. Keep it up!

Janie Lynn said...

I don't care where you are - any large group is going to have some crazies. But are you sure the ones you ran into weren't actually elected democrats? Just wondering.

Just a conservative girl said...

Janie:
Did you read my post about Congressman Grayson? I am dead serious, he behaved like I was not even there.

The lady who kept yelling about my soul, I doubt could be elected to anything. She really was acting like a lunatic. She did get interviewed by some media. I don't know who as I didn't want to get close to her again.

The guy who kept talking to me about Catholics vs. Evangelicals had been drinking, I could smell the liquor on his breath. So, I doubt it.

I think they were coffee party people. I suppose I could be wrong, but the congress members always wear a pin.

I did meet another guy who was a liberal who lives in DC. He was a nice guy. We disagreed, but had a civil discussion and agreed to disagree. He was completely surrounded by conservatives and just stated his views, he wasn't trying to bait anybody, like many of them were.

Soloman said...

Thanks for the front-line report and for all you do there.

I sometimes wish I'd chosen the DC area over Phoenix when I left Ohio nine years ago... so much to be involved in there, politically speaking.

But, as they say - that's life.

I would be interested in learning what number of the 2009 deportations were self-imposed, mostly due to the fragility of our economy and the imposition of E-Verify causing a lack of work availability for illegals.

Also, I'd wonder how much effect situations like Janet Napolitano leaving Arizona and a handful of cities ending their "sanctuary" status have to do with these numbers.

I wouldn't be so quick to give credit to the Obama administration for the rise in deportation. One of the most important geographical locations in this arena is Phoenix and Maricopa County, AZ, and Sheriff Joe is fighting tooth and nail with the feds who are trying to restrict him with legislation.

Timeshare Jake said...

Thanks for sharing your stories. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. I really wish I had the resources to attend. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of fly over country and looking for another ticket out.

I have no doubt what Kevin Jackson says is correct.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative