Monday, June 13, 2011

The CNN Debate

Just some quick thoughts as I don't have a great deal of time. 

I think that Michele Bachman did a great job.  She sometimes has a habit of getting her facts a little mixed up, but not tonight.  She showed that she is able to stay on topic and answer questions with quick soundbites that get to the point. 

I think that Tim Pawlenty was the big winner tonight.  He came across as likable, knowledgeable, and a good conservative.  Job well done. 

Newt showed why he has been described as the brain or the idea guy.  He is in his element in a debate format and tonight was no exception.  The big down side was that he outright lied in my opinion.  He is sticking to his ridiculous story that what he said about Paul Ryan was taken out of context.  It was a live interview Newt, we ain't buying what you are trying to sell with this one.  You just made yourself look dishonest. 

Herman Cain I think was one of the biggest losers.  Not because of his answers, just that he wasn't given much of a chance to speak.  The questions went mainly to Romney, Newt, and Pawlenty.  I guess these are the three that CNN has deigned the viable candidates for the nomination.  Overall his performance was strong, just not nearly enough face time. 

Ron Paul was Ron Paul.  I agree with much of what he would do on fiscal policy, but he loses me on social issues and foreign policy. 

Romney was doing his somersaults about Romneycare or as Pawlenty's newest phrase Obamney Care.  Not happening Mitt.  I am not buying it, you seem unwilling to sign a all out repeal and nothing less is acceptable.  Screw this waiver idea of yours. 

Rick Santorum also did pretty well, he showed he can debate with the rest of the field.  Santorum is out for me, I will not vote for him even if he is the nominee so I don't really care what he has to say. 

What I did find refreshing is that they talked about some of the third rail topics.  Ethanol and entitlement reform.  We need to open and honest to the American people, we are broke and it is time we take on the tough and scary subjects.  We are almost out of road and can no longer just the kick the can.  The right needs to talk openly and honestly about these topics and not allow the media and the left to turn this into throwing granny over the cliff scenario.  Oh, wait they already did that. 

What are your thoughts? 

2 comments:

Quite Rightly said...

Hi Girl - I was impressed with the whole line-up. Any one of these candidates would run circles around Obama and his whole administration. And I especially liked the way they stood together and did not hold back from agreeing with each other.

The influence of the Tea Party on the answers of all the candidates was profound. These candidates definitely know who is going to get out the vote in 2012.

Though I'm not behind Gingrich as a candidate, I'd love to see him debate Obama, just for the satisfaction of it.

Like you, I noticed that Cain was given the short shrift, although he wasn't as nimble as usual tonight. The powers that be obviously don't want to have him considered a serious candidate. I would really like to hear what he has to say about the Fed; in fact, I'd like to hear Cain and Ron Paul in serious conversation about it.

All in all, a very heartening debate, I thought. I'll sleep better tonight.

RightKlik said...

Romney has a long, long way to go even to begin easing concerns about Obamneycare. He says he will waiver/repeal...then replace. But replace with what?

And do we really want to encourage presidents to legislate from the oval office with waivers?

Would he waiver everyone out of Medicare or social security?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative