Thursday, February 11, 2010

Medina and the Truthers


Debra Medina, a candidate running for the republican nomination for governor of Texas was a guest on Glen Beck's radio show today.  I have this feeling that she regrets that decision.  Apparently there have been rumors that she is a "truther". 

Glen broached that topic and her answer was

I think some very good questions raised have been raised in that regard,”. 

So Beck went a little further and asked her directly if she believed that the US government was involved in blowing up the Twin Towers on 9/11

“good questions have been raised and haven’t been answered,”
"there's some very good arguments and I think the American people have not seen all the evidence there."





Again, Beck tried to give her a chance to back away from these comments and asked her if she had advisors that were truthers.  She didn't seem to want to answer that question and said that she was not going to get involved in mind control of her staff.  She then said it was a federal issue and her campaign was about the State of Texas. 

Shortly after her interview she released this statement:

I was asked a question on the Glenn Beck show today regarding my thoughts on the so-called 9/11 truth movement. I have never been involved with the 9/11 truth movement, and there is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11. I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way. No one can deny that the events on 9/11 were a tragedy for all Americans and especially those families who lost loved ones.


The question surprised me because it's not relevant to this race or the issues facing Texans. This campaign has always been about private property rights and state sovereignty. It is focused on the issues facing Texans. It is not a vehicle for the 9-11 truth movement or any other group.

The real underlying question here, though, is whether or not people have the right to question our government. I think the fact that people are even asking questions on this level gets to the incredible distrust career politicians have fostered by so clearly taking their direction from special interests instead of the people, whether it's Rick Perry and his HPV mandate or Kay Hutchison and voting for the bank bailout. It is absolutely the right and duty of a free people to question their government. Texas does not need another politician who tells you what you want to hear, then violates your liberties and steals your property anyway. I fully expect to be questioned and to be held accountable as Governor, and that's the underlying issue here: should people be questioning their government. And the answer is yes, they should be.

Her statement doesn't match what she said when being questioned.  Beck gave her the chance to back away from the initial statement and she didn't take it.  I have no way of knowing if she is indeed a truther or not, but she certainly didn't do herself any favors here.  I think she can kiss her chance of winning the nomination goodbye.

3 comments:

Rotti said...

Hmm, I know nothing about her, but this is just a little odd.

Just a conservative girl said...

Rotti:
I have had run ins with truthers a great deal lately. I think it has something to do with my picture that I use. I kid you not, people are just emailing me unprovoked to tell me 9/11 was an inside job. Another that I saw, was retired military.

They are out there.

What I have heard about her is that at least one person on her staff has been vocal truther in the past before joining her campaign, and that is why Beck asked the question.

ArthurRex12 said...

I read the transcript of the interview. Whether she's a truther or not no longer matters. WHat does matter is that she dodged the question, making her sound just like the politicians that she denounces in that statement of hers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative