Monday, September 19, 2011

Bachmann's Candidacy is All But Over

Michele Bachman has decided to use the Gardasil issue to hammer Governor Perry on. While I am in full agreement with the congresswoman on the fact he did this by executive order. Bad governor, bad. I am also in agreement to point out the fact that he received some financial benefit from Merck, the manufacturer of the vaccine, in the form of campaign contributions. What I don't agree with is her continued claims that the vaccine caused at least one case of mental retardation.



In her latest statement during a presser today she says:


"All I was doing is relaying what a woman had said, I relayed what she said. I wasn't attesting to her accuracy. I wasn't attesting to anything."
This is disturbing on quite a few levels. She is admitting that she didn't bother to fact check this statement before she made it.


I realize that there are many people in our country that have very strong feelings against vaccines. I personally was talking to a woman last week who told me that flu shots are designed to kill you slowly, so she refuses to get one. Jenny McCarthy has been very outspoken about her belief that her son's autism was a result of his childhood vaccines. But the fact remains that people who believe this are considered to be on the "fringe". Most people in this country will need a great deal more proof before they jump on the no vaccine bandwagon. I am making no judgement either way. But, the no vaccine crowd is considered a fringe group.


I live in a state where Gardasil is "mandatory". The reason that is made mandatory is so that it will be covered by most insurance policies. There is an opt out for the parents. The numbers in this state have shown that most parents are not getting the vaccine. Less than 20% of parents in Virginia have decided to give the shot to their child. I personally believe that an opt out is the way to go. It gives parents the choice.


Congresswoman Bachmann making the statement was bad enough, but she kept repeating it for days and refusing to back away from the comment gives me a great deal of pause about what type of leader she will be. I like most of the Congresswoman's message. I have met her on a few occasions and she was very gracious. But that isn't enough. We are at a crossroads in this country. The next election quite literally will be deciding which way this country decides to go. Are we going to become a nation where more and more people are dependent on the government, or are going to start the long road back to constitutional principles?


This country is in desperate need of a strong leader with principles. One that can admit when things are not working and change course. Congresswoman Bachmann has shown she is not that leader. It is time for her to wrap it up and get back to her job as congresswoman.

Sorry, Phil. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative