Friday, July 16, 2010

The Food Police Are Coming



It seems that President and Mrs. Obama had a private chef even before coming president.  His name is Sam Kass.  He is young man who after Obama took office relocated to Washington to become one of the chefs for the President. 

He has recently been promoted to Senior Policy Advisor for Healthy Food Initiatives.  I am not 100% certain what it means, except for the fact that we becoming more and more of a nanny state everyday.  I am person who believes that eating healthy is important.  I had very bad eating habits as a child and it took me a long time to get myself to eat better.  Which I did over time. 

There is no soda in my house. I rarely drink anything that is carbonated.  I love veggies that you get from your own garden.  Fresh zucchini is one of my all time favorite things to eat.  I have many recipes, including one for muffins. These muffins are a sneaky way to get kids to eat vegetables.  They don't realize that they are eating something that is healthy and you are giving them a taste for it.  Which will make it easier to get them to eat it with dinner, put fresh veggies in ground turkey and grill a burger. 

At my house, fast food is the Whole Foods salad bar.  I try to live by a 80/20 rule.  I can eat junk on occasion because I overwhelmingly eat good foods.  For example, tonight I went to Baskin Robbins and had a three scoop hot fudge sundae.  I don't feel bad about because I had skinless chicken breast and corn for dinner.  This is how I choose to live my life.  I don't do this because anyone else has told me to.

I am not a big believer in using a television and video games as a babysitter.  When I was young we stayed outside playing until it got dark.  We even went out in the snow and the cold.  Over the summers we went swimming everyday.  I grew up on the water and Jet Skiing and water skiing was just part of the routine.  We played hide and seek and had these huge neighborhood games of Kick the Can.  Again, I realize that the world is different, you don't let your kids run around outside in the same way that I did as a child.  But, parents can take their kids to the local playground, the local school yard or whatever else they may have in their area.   One of the reasons that kids are so fat these days is because they don't play baseball anymore, they are sitting in the house using their X Boxes instead.  If you can afford to pay for these video games you can afford the Wii that will have some games that will at least give their child some sort of exercise. 

I am sick and tired of the federal government trying to tell me what to do.  If people don't realize that eating at McDonald's on a regular basis is bad for you, then we have bigger problems than the government can solve.  They are either willfully blind, or just plain stupid.  Neither of these things can be cured by the federal government. 

Even if you don't have the room for a garden, like I do, you can still buy vegetables.  They sell them in the can in almost every store across America.  They are not as healthy for you when they come out of a can, but it sure as heck better than eating chips.  Even if you are on a tight budget, you can eat things like beans and rice. This not only contains healthy things for you, it is also very filling.  It can go a long way when you don't have much money. 

Many people are obese because of genetics and/or medical problems.  Some people are obese simply because they are to lazy to eat well.  They don't want to cook, they would rather go through the Burger King drive through because it is easier.  The federal government can not and should not do anything about that.  Anytime you buy something in the grocery store it has the nutriental information listed.  If people choose to ignore this, there is nothing the federal government can do.  Although, they want to try.  Nanny Pelosi and her ilk have decided that putting the info on the front of the package is going to make all the difference in the world.  Somehow if they don't have to turn the box around they won't buy it.  It is further proof that Obama truly believes that I am too stupid to make good choices for myself and I am in desparate need to have him make those choices for me.  Well, I say no thank you.  I know all one my own if I eat at McDonald's I am eating something that is unhealthy, I know for myself that you need to get up and do something in order to stay in shape, I know for myself that if you don't buy chips and soda you severally limit the amount of junk that your kids are eating.  I know for myself that if you give them healthy snacks they start asking for them.  I know for myself if you give them juice and water instead of soda they won't ask for it over time.  I know for myself that you can give them apples and dried fruit as snacks instead of chips and ice cream. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

They want to do everything to take over our lives. The primaries are here, and the elections are coming. Vote them out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative