Friday, March 12, 2010

Have They No Shame? - The Democrats on Life


Bart Stupak, the Michigan Congressman, gave an interview to National Review Online. It was quite the stunner.


“If you pass the Stupak amendment, more children will be born, and therefore it will cost us millions more. That’s one of the arguments I’ve been hearing,” Stupak says. “Money is their hang-up. Is this how we now value life in America? If money is the issue — come on, we can find room in the budget. This is life we’re talking about.”

Now, I have been pro choice my entire adult life. My entire reasoning for being pro-life is the fact that I believe that we should not go back to back-alley abortions that endanger women's lives, not because I think that it is ok. I also am very uncomfortable with the idea of telling a young victim of incest or a rape victim that they must go through with the pregnancy if she doesn't want to. Although only a tiny percentage of abortions in this country are performed for this reason.


When I read things like this it makes me wonder why I embrace this view. More children will be born, this is reasoning? Cliff over at Another Black Conservative calls this evil. I would have to agree, this is pure evil. But something that I am surprised he didn't touch on was the racial implications of this statement. The sad reality is that the poor is disproportionately in the minority communities.


Where is the Congressional Black Caucus in all this? Why are they not asking the question why the democratic party are willing to kill off black babies because they are not willing to pay for the health care of these babies? Why is the black community not asking why the first black president is not appalled at this? Just today The Washington Post had a write up regarding the CBC's view that President Obama is not doing enough to address the needs of the black community when it comes to employment, shouldn't they be asking themselves why this is the policy of the party they love so much?

Another very fascinating quote from this article is:

And the politics of the issue are pretty rough. “This has really reached an unhealthy stage,” Stupak says. “People are threatening ethics complaints on me. On the left, they’re really stepping it up. Every day, from Rachel Maddow to the Daily Kos, it keeps coming. Does it bother me? Sure. Does it change my position? No.”

Ethics complaints? Hmm, while I still think that Massa is a nut job, but it certainly puts his assertions into a new light does it not?

One thing that I must say is that Stupak is a man who deserves respect.  While I don't agree with him on most things, as he is a big government kind of guy, he is willing to stand by his principles even when it is hard.  He has even gone as far to say that he will remain in the democratic party as he knows that he isn't a republican.  Mr. Stupak I give you a hat tip.  We need more people in government like you; someone who stands up for what you believe is right.  As you have seen for yourself, that is becoming rare these days. 

For additional conversations see Memeorandum

4 comments:

ArthurRex12 said...

As a lifelong pro-lifer, I have to wonder why you embrace pro-choice views as well. I don't mean to be insulting. I just don't understand how the destruction of human life can be justified without factoring in the concept of evil. Your argument that providing the facilities to make to make it safe is better than using a coat hanger in a back alley is valid, I'll admit, but the bottom line on the issue is, as Stupak touched on, money. The dems want to cut costs. I respect that Stupak is sticking to his guns on this, because if he doesn't, we're screwed. Here's to hoping he keeps up the fight.

Just a conservative girl said...

I have a very complicated view on abortion. I would never have one, but I am not comfortable telling other people that they can't. The reality is that they will happen even if they are illegal, and women's health will suffer as a result.

Also, another reality is that there are people who don't believe that life begins at conception so they don't look at the way you do. I know people who feel that way. To them it is not a baby. I also know someone who thinks that pregnancy is like indentured servitude. I think that view is crazy, especially since he has adopted his children, but he does believe that.
If a person doesn't believe that life begins at conception than they are not causing the destruction of life as you believe that they are. It is an issue that can't be easily solved let alone compromised upon.

Opus #6 said...

JACG, I wondered how hard they would come after Stupak on this. It must be really blocking Obamacare for them to go after him this hard. Good for him.

As for the "money" argument, if they want to talk "money" what about the 40 million dead to abortions since the 1960s. If they were all working and paying taxes and Social Security we would all be in a different situation right now. But no. Our parent's generation HAD to have it THEIR WAY. The ME generation didn't want to be INCONVENIENCED.

I, too, don't believe in back alley abortions. But neither do I believe in condoning it. Ladies may slink into the abortionist's office to do their dirty deed, but I will call them out on it. It is wrong, selfish, and the taking of a human life.

Just a conservative girl said...

Opus:
I agree that abortion is wrong. The only way to reduce the rates of abortion in this country to educate people about the effects of it. Which, by the way is starting to happen. The recent polls are showing that more Americans believe that abortion is wrong. Why do you think that planned parenthood is going after the girl scouts? They are losing the adults, so they go after the kids.

A good comparison is the European view on guns. For the most part they are illegal there and it is not a big deal to them as culturally they are anti-gun. Even if guns were more accessible they wouldn't sell well as people don't want them. We have to get to that point in this country before the rates will go down. If we can foster a culture of life we can reduce the amount of abortions. Simply making it illegal will not stop it, it will just endanger the health of young women. Which I personally believe is not the way to go. Educate and Empower women to be more responsible when it comes to birth control and indiscrimate sex and encourage a culture of life will reduce the rates and the need to make it illegal will go away.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative