Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Open Letter to President Obama

Dear President Obama:

I have had about enough of your administration's characterization of me. I am not a nut, an extremist, domestic terrorist, or a protester who is being paid by the insurance companies. I am not now nor have I ever worked in any capacity in the medical or insurance fields.

I am nothing more than a concerned citizen who is deeply afraid of what you are trying to do to this country. The people who are showing up at these town halls are people who have grandparents, parents, and children. We are concerned about the direction the health care debate is taking. The different versions of these bills are on-line and accessible for us to read. Some of us have actually taken the opportunity to do so.

We are not lawyers nor lawmakers so the language can be a little difficult to understand; but we get the gist. We understand that care as you get older will be more difficult to come by, we understand that abortion will be on demand with tax-payer funds, we understand that government will audit companies that are self-insured, we understand that money will be cut from medicare, and we don't like it. We are standing up and saying no.

Mr. President we also understand that the bills are not being read. We understand that CBO changed the price tag on the bill after meeting with you at the White House. We understand that Speaker Pelosi is trying to strong arm the more moderate/conservative members of your party to get her way. We understand that you are simply not telling the truth when you say you are not looking for single-payer system. We have the video that proves it. Try as you may, you can not back away from your own words. We are not stupid.

Mr. President, I have never said a word when people from Code Pink were out protesting the war. They are Americans, they have a constitutional right to protest. You did not hear the Bush Administration dismiss Cindy Sheehan for her anti-military views. Please stop dismissing mine.

You and I will find almost no common ground; as I disagree with virtually everything that you stand for and believe in. But I have never said that you don't have the right to stand up say them. All I am asking that you, The President of the United States, realize that when you took an oath to uphold the constitution it included my right to protest.

If you and your administration want to paint me as right-wing nut, than so be it. But it seems to me that I am more willing to stand by your constitutional rights than you are of mine. That is a truly sad commentary of the man who is my president.

Just a Conservative Girl

15 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Woooo! You GO girl!!!!! This letter is on FIRE!!!!!

LL said...

Add me to the list of signatories.

Anonymous said...

What she said. My mother raised me to "respect the office" of the president even when he stinks, but I'm finding that harder and harder to do. And frankly, I don't even want to.

This is turning out even worse than I thought it was going to be. I know I said "anyone but Hillary", but...

RonPaulDude said...

Well said. Mind if I ask what "type" of conservative? I consider myself a Ron Paul person which I believe to be more Libertarian (not at all to be confused w/Liberal) than conservative. Strict adherence to the constitution (which few on either side of the aisle seem to be able to spell these days ... except when they can use it (in our out of context) to their advantage) is the best option IMHO.

Heather Chandler said...

Wow, well said! I second Opus' "you GO, girl"! =)

Just a conservative girl said...

RP Dude:
I guess that I am in between being republican and libertarian. I strongly disagree with legalizing drugs. I watched two people I love die from substance abuse; so that is a non-starter for me.
I guess you can say I am a Reagan conservative more than Paul conservative.
And you are right, the republicans are really to blame for the mess that we are in right now. Had they not let go of their principles, people wouldn't have been so suckered in to the "hope & change" load of crap that Obama was selling last year. Obama is President because the left painted President Bush as evil and we sat back and didn't stand up for our beliefs.
Those days are now over.

Just a conservative girl said...

This can't waite:
See I said anyone but Obama. I would have taken Hillary over him any day of the week. At least with Hillary you knew she would never do anything that went against the will of the people. She, like her husband, governs by polls.
Obama will do whatever he wants, he could care less what the majority of the people want. Because we don't know what is good for us. A reporter said that a few days ago. We just are too stupid to figure things out for ourselves.

RightKlik said...

Great letter. Keep up the good work.

Libertarian Advocate said...

"A reporter said that a few days ago. We just are too stupid to figure things out for ourselves."

Can you recall who said that and the context?

Just a conservative girl said...

Andrea Mitchell said it, during a discussion about the middle class people going out to townhalls. She said that we don't know what is good for us.
Her words, not mine.

Anonymous said...

i don't think there's any sign of your right to protest being taken away. after all, no one has set up any 'free speech zones' or anything like that in nthis administration.

Just a conservative girl said...

Really, didn't the President just say that we should shut up? I think he did.

hometown guy said...

i missed that. when did he say that? and assuming for the moment that he did, do you now feel that you are legally required to shut up? really and truthfully, do you anticipate a law proposed by someone in congress and signed by the president that requires people to shut up? or do you suppose you will be relegated to a 'free speech zone' a quarter mile away from the event for your protest? my bet is no in all cases.

Just a conservative girl said...

Let's see. A permit for the Atlanta 4th of July Tea Party got pulled days before the event. Just so happens to be that the property owner (Simon Properties) is a huge Obama supporter and contributor. Hmm, ya think it's possible that had something to do with it?

Telling people that they are nazi's and acting un-american is intimadition; which will lead to people not showing up. Therefore, squelching free speech.

Comparing putting up speech free zones during a convention is apples and oranges. They were allowed to protest. Anytime you protest you have to get a permit.

The tea party in DC in April was supposed to happen in a different place. We were denied a permit in front of the treasury building. Again, we were not told that until days before. three or four days beforehand we were told we got the permit from the wrong people. They didn't know that when they gave it out originally. We had to go several blocks away. Same thing as a free speech zone. Tax day protest should have been done in front of the treasury. Instead three blocks away.

The secret service has every right to set up perimeters to protect the president. That is their job. Do you really believe that same perimeter won't be in place in three years? Of course it will.

hometown guy said...

these are all the same words we have been using for the last 8 years about our protests. we have had permits pulled from places owned by bush supporters, we have been (and are still being) called un-american and nazis, and have been denied permits to protest in front of government buildings. it appears it's happening to all of us. but i find it confusing that the blame is being focused on obama for it. did he have some way of influencing these things when the last administration was in charge?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative