Friday, August 28, 2009

My Bittersweet Moment

I don't normally post much in the way of the personal on this blog. But, this is going to be a rare exception. In just a few short days I will be saying a bittersweet good-bye. Two of the best people you would ever want to know will be leaving Virginia and moving back to New England.

I am a first generation American. Many, many years ago a childhood friend of my dad made his way over to the United States to fulfill the American dream. While he was settling into a new land where he didn't know the language, he lived with my parents. Several months before I was born his family came to join him. So I have literally known these people since the day I was born. So there was always a joke about who I was going to look like. Although when I was born, that went by the wayside, I was a little version of my grandma. All my childhood holiday memories are split between our two CT homes.

They helped me through my very rocky move to Virginia, which was very rocky and a funny story now. They made sure that I was taken care of during my cancer treatments. They always made sure I had the things that I needed during the bad times that sometimes come with life, and shared with me the good things that happen in life as well.

She has taught me to bake pepparkraker cookies for the Christmas holidays, gave me the traditional lutefisk on Christmas Eve (If your not Scandinavian, you won't understand the attraction) and were there all the rest of the year as well. They know all my faults but love me anyway. There is not a mean bone in either one of their bodies.

They have been not just understanding but completely encouraging of this passion that I have for conservative politics and activism to see our government return to the roots of our Constitution. Even though I have not been able to bring them over to the "right" side, I will sorely miss our debates about the issues of the day. And I won't be giving up either. I just may convince you yet!!

On Monday, it is his last day of work EVER!! He is retiring from the State Department and moving back east to be with their children, grandchildren, and even a few great-children.

So to Ralf and Inger, it is with a heavy heart that I say good-bye to you, and wish you a happy retirement. New Hampshire is very lucky to have to you both, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything that you have done for me over the years. I will see you next summer when we all go to Finland for mid-summer.

I am going to dry my tears, and tell you that you have been my family and that I love you both more than words can say. By the way, the big green monster looks perfect in my dining room!!

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Awww, I'm sorry you are losing your friends' daily contact. Hopefully some vacations can be spent visiting.

Just a conservative girl said...

Thanks Opus -

I am sorry as well. It is not going to be the same here for me.

Yes, they will be relatively close to Boston. So trips will be taken.

Anonymous said...

Ralf and Inger are the type of friends that you hope to have for the remainder of your life. I understand that they want to be near their children (a very important part of their life) but for Stuart and I we will miss them very, very much. They have been great friends and neighbors. There are no better people in the entire world. We have learned so much from both of them, both about the Finn's and about being an American.

Our best wishes for a healthy and happy Retirement to both.

Stuart and Kay

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative