Friday, October 21, 2011

The Case Against Herman Cain

I remember listening to Herman Cain speak about 18 months ago.  After his speech, he walked off the stage only to return a few seconds later and mentioned that a "dark horse" just may be running for president.  I told everyone and anyone who would listen; Herman Cain was the man to be POTUS. 


When he officially announced his candidacy, I drove all night to get to Atlanta to watch it live.  Again, I told everyone and anyone; Herman is the man.  Well, time has passed and I realize just how wrong I was. 


The majority of his appearances on Fox News Sunday have been a disaster.  At the time I was willing to give him a pass on not knowing or understanding the Palestinian desire for the right of return to agree to a two state solution.  I was thinking, I didn't understand how he didn't know what it was, but OK, it was one gaffe.  You fix it, then you move on. 


We then can move onto another gaffe of his saying he wouldn't allow a Muslim in his cabinet.  I do understand what he meant, but he certainly didn't make it clear that he was specifically referring to people who believed that bringing forms of Sharia to the United States was a good thing.  His actual statement made him sound like a bigot.  Again, you fix it and you move on. 


Then he starts talking about the mosque in Tennessee that some are opposed to building.  He stated that communities can decide for themselves if they want to allow a mosque to be built.  He even went as far as to use a liberal talking point to make his case.  During this interview with Fox News Sunday he went to say this is how he would solve problems as president.  The problem is that he never spoke to those in the community that were not opposed to building of the center.  We already have a president who surrounds himself with people who agree with him and tell him what he already believes.  Do we really want another one? 


We now can move onto this latest statements on abortion.  I personally don't vote based on the abortion issue.  But, many in the conservative base do.  For some, it is a deal breaker.  Rick Santorum made his view on Herman's statement very clear.  He either believes that life begins at conception or he doesn't.  You don't get to say it is not life if it is conceived during rape or incest but life all the rest of the time.  Life is life.  There is no other way around it. 


We also have heard that he would entertain trading Gitmo prisoners for a captured soldier like Israel sometimes does.  Really?  How many soldier's lives would be put into danger if the U.S. started to dealing with terrorists in this fashion?  Is KSM one he would trade?  This statement is so incredibly stupid, I can't even come up with the words to describe my disappointment. 


I have met Mr. Cain on several occasions.  I think he is a good man who truly has the best interests of this country at heart.  He wants to see his children and grandchildren to have the same opportunities at the American dream that he was able to have.  He is a very smart man who possess very good business skills.  But, that does not make him capable of being President of the United States.  He isn't even really capable of getting the VP nod.  There are plenty of cabinet positions that he would be very well suited for. 


The conservatives can not and should not entertain the idea of putting a man on the ticket who doesn't have the proper qualifications to do the job, especially when one of the main arguments against Obama is that he isn't up to the task.  The American people deserve  better.  We deserve a president that is capable.  Sadly, Herman Cain is not that man. 


Cross Posted at Pundit Press and Potluck

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written JACG. I'm waiting for a candidate to act Presidential. I thought Mr. Cain was that candidate, but sadly he is not. Still waiting.

Sandy Salt said...

I am now waiting as well because we have to be able to do better than Mittens. I thought Cain was that guy, but not having a grasp on the topics of the day makes you unfit to lead this nation. Maybe he can study up and pull his foot out of his mouth, but it is probably too late for a lot of voters.

Sandy Salt said...

I am having a change of heart on Mr. Cain, but it is going in the opposite direction as I truly believe that he has a truth problem. How can I hold it against him for not being a career liar? His original answers are not horrible, but all the back tracking like a politician is what soured me. I saw tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. I am also not a single issue voter, so saying abortion should not be controlled by the federal government does not bother me, but the back tracking does.

Just a conservative girl said...

I don't know if that is lack of honesty as much as fear of not talking political speak. But he has become troublesome.

If he gets the nod I will not only vote for him, but I will go out and door knock. The same cannot be said about Romney.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative