Saturday, December 24, 2011

Romney Will Be the GOP Nominee

The news for the anyone but Romney camp of the republican party is not good.  Only two candidates were able to qualify for the primary ballot in Virginia, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul.  All others either failed to get enough signatures or didn't follow the proper procedures to get on the ballot.  Gov. Perry turned in signature sheets that were not notarized.  Which means that his campaign didn't even bother to do a simple check to see if the volunteers who collected the signatures followed a simple procedure.  Rick Santorum and Newt both live in Virginia, so it is even more embarrassing that they didn't qualify.

Ron Paul's newsletters history is going to disqualify him in the eyes of too many in the general public.  It doesn't matter if he himself is racist or not (Which I don't believe that he is), but at the very least he is willing to close his eyes to the racist actions of the people around him and that is not acceptable in someone who wants to be the leader of the free world.  This is how it is going to look to the average voter and they will not elect a man that they to believe to be a racist or has ties to racists.

While I don't think that any of the candidates will be dropping out simply because of not being on the Virginia ballot, the truth is this, they have lost the money that will be needed to take Romney head on.  The inability to collect 10,000 signatures (in their home state no less for two candidates) is an indication that they are not ready for prime time.  Big money donors are a necessary evil to be competitive in our political system, whether this is right or not is not really relevant at this point, because that is just a fact for the time being.  While I and countless others would like to see this change, it won't change in time for the next election.

As much as this pains me to say this, Mitt Romney will be the nominee.  People have a choice to make, rally around him or stay home.

Make your choice.  I have made mine.  I will not pull the lever for Mitt Romney.  If Gary Johnson is on my ballot as the libertarian candidate, I will vote for him or I will leave it blank and move on to my congressional elections.

This will be the first time in my adult life that I will not be involved in some capacity for the election of our next president.  What will I do with all the extra time on my hands?

6 comments:

Opus #6 said...

You saved the punchline for last. I thought this entire post was in support of Mitt at first.

I am hoping that the other campaigns can still pick up. Maybe I am out of touch.

ArthurRex12 said...

Maybe I'm being a little optimistic here, but I still think Newt has a chance. Romney's support hasn't grown or shrunk at all since he reached the number he's at now. Gingrich led in Virginia up until this debacle. It might be possible that a write in campaign could hand him the state. I' not saying it's likely, but I guess it's my desire NOT to see Romney on the ballot that is causing me to hold fast to Newt, a man who has the chutzpah and experience to wallop Obama.

Just a conservative girl said...

There is no legal way to do a write in. Virginia law is very clear.

ArthurRex12 said...

I was unaware of that at the time. Still, Virginia's just one state. Gingrich still has 56 that he can win! :D

Just a conservative girl said...

Opus:
Romney never has and never will get any support on this blog. If he is unfairly targeted I will stand by him, but that is as far as I am willing to go.

He is Obama lite and I will not vote for him.

Conservative Pup said...

I have known that Romney would be the GOP candidate since October 5, when Palin told us she would not run. Maybe she knew he was already going to be the nominee.

They promised him in 2008, when he dropped out for McCain. They promised him 2012, and nothing, not even 'we the people' can change that. I'm so sick of the all-powerful elite establishment. Much as it pains me, I will vote for whomever runs against Obama, but I will focus my energy and efforts on Congress.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative