Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fundraising on Gays for $500 Alex


This didn't take long.  Not that I thought that it would.  But I was asked by a commenter not too long ago how I felt that my religious views were being used like a tool by the GOP.

I wonder how gay people feel like when their private sexuality is being used as one?

No one in their right mind believes that President Obama ever was against gay marriage.  This is nothing but pandering to a group of people who were upset that he wasn't delivering on his campaign promises and were withholding those precious checks.  This is blackmail (from both sides of this equation in fact) plain and simple.

It is also cheap political theater.  He is trying to use this issue to distract conservatives and get SoCons worked up into a tizzy over an issue that the President has virtually no power to do anything about.  Marriage is a state issue.  Even the likes of President Obama seems to recognize that.

I also it think it is noteworthy that he even decided to bring his daughters into this.  What happened to family being off-limits?  You either keep your children out of the campaign, or they become fair game.  You don't get to have it both ways.

Do not be fooled by this folks.  This is a way to try and distract people off his failure of an administration, the poor economy, and all the factors that are working against him as he runs for re-election.  Don't fall for it.  Stay on message.

Friend –
Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you’ll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:


I’ve always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I’ve talked to friends and family about this. I’ve thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, I’ve gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I’ve come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn’t dawn on them that their friends’ parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.
I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.


Thank you,
Barack

4 comments:

hometown guy said...

In other news, politicians are politicians.

Just a conservative girl said...

True, but it would be nice if the media actually reported this truthfully instead of calling it "historic". He was for gay marriage before he decided to run for federal office. There is nothing historic about lying about your position to get elected. As you said they do it all time.

net observer said...

I'll take a seat between "just" and "hometown".

This is a huge political football. Biden threw an unexpected long bomb pass and Obama made a good catch. Apparently, they planned this at halftime.

It appears, however, that Obama may have pulled a muscle in the process. It may be nothing or it may affect his play for the rest of the game. We don't know yet.

Obama's half-truth announcement about something he's always believed in may not be the most purely honorable move in recent times, but it was nevertheless quite historic, despite the obvious politics.

It would have been just as political if Obama and Biden purposely delayed all commentary on this issue until after the election. Again, politicians play politics.

Early May predictions for November is likely fool's errand, but as a result of these developments, I am now expecting an out-of-the-blue swell among under-35, otherwise-disinterested Democrats, even though they may be offset by a now-galvanized conservative base who views this announcement as a taste of what's in store if Obama is re-elected.

Just a conservative girl said...

You are kidding yourself if you think what Biden did was a gaffe. That was planned out. Why would Arne Duncan be asked about gay marriage? He is the sec. of education. Who cares what he thinks about gay marriage? Biden and Duncan were test balloons.

A few days before the "gaffe" the gay activists announced they wouldn't be opening their checkbooks. I have bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you believe that Joe was not doing exactly what was instructed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative