Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Need Feminism Because..............


This Tumbler page was pointed out to me, so I had to take a look.  The explanation of the page:
Identify yourself as a feminist today and many people will immediately assume you are man-hating, bra-burning, whiny liberal. Perhaps a certain charming radio talk show host will label you as a “Feminazi” or “slut.” Even among more moderate crowds, feminism is still seen as too radical, too uncomfortable, or simply unnecessary. Feminism is both misunderstood and denigrated regularly right here on Duke’s campus. We, the 16 women of Professor Rachel Seidman’s course on Women in the Public Sphere, have decided to fight back against these popular misconceptions surrounding the feminist movement. Our class was disturbed by what we perceive to be an overwhelmingly widespread belief among students that today’s society no longer needs feminism. In order to change this perception on campus, we have launched a PR campaign for feminism. We aim to challenge existing stereotypes surrounding feminists and assert the importance of feminism today.
Feminism is mainly about abortion.  If you are pro-life you have automatically given up your feminist entrance card.  You get called a man with breasts.  (Don't men technically have breasts too?)

Here are some of my favorites:

I am 21 years old and still scared to go out drinking and be blamed if something happens to me  
 it is socially acceptable for me to wear a suit to my formal, but if my male counterpart were to wear a dress, they would be ridiculed to no end  Feminism is about men wearing dresses, who knew?  

-I’m tired of hearing that I have no self-respect based on how I dress or who I sleep with.

-I’m tired of hearing “Oh, so you want to see men get screwed in society?” When I talk about feminism.
-I’m tired of Kitchen and “Sammich” jokes.
-I’m tired of hearing how I should give up on my dreams and become a stay at home mother.
-I’m tired of hearing that I suck for not wanting to have kids and having it be because “It’s your job as a woman.”

I shouldn’t have to be on guard, boarder line paranoid at all times walking down the street by myself in broad daylight. Huh?  Where do you live?  

I don’t want to lose my last name if I marry my boyfriend. I love my family, and my name means alot to me. My family and friends are relatively progresssive, so they’re ok with is in theory, but then the question always comes: what about the kids? Well ASSUMING we have kids, which is a pretty big assumption, I don’t want to have a different last name. Our society may be patriarchal, but if they come from my body they will have my name. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has told me that children should have their father’s name…why? They are genetically both of us, but they come out of me. I will carry them inside myself the first nine months of their existence. Why should their father be privileged? Anyway, our solution was to make up our own last name. I will still publish and teach under my name, but legally we will start new lineage that doesn’t privilege either parent. Some of my friends like this, most people think we’re being too sensitive. This is just one example of why I need feminism.  Wait I think her feminism card might just get rejected, she admitted that life begins at conception!!

‘I need feminism because I worry that I’m “crazy” when I get upset.’  How will feminism help with this problem?  

I need feminism because queer women and women of color are still often excluded from and shamed in mainstream feminism.  Oops, she let the cat out of the bag, feminists are racist homophobes.  They must be the republican brand of feminists.  

I get looked at strangely by my “feminist” friends for being a part of the BDSM community. In my opinion, as long as the sex is mutual and pleasurable for both parties, enjoying being tied up and dominated shouldn’t make me non-feminist or “working against the cause”  Oh, kinky sex gets your feminism card taken away too apparently.  I thought they were the accepting ones.  

There are 74 pages of this.  Too Funny

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative