Thursday, May 22, 2014

Some Need To Turn In Their Limited Government Card - Laws to Prevent "Saggy Pants" Popping Up

I have been reading about different localities passing ordinances that will fine people for wearing "saggy" pants.  One such locality in Tennessee has gone as far as saying they present a health threat, therefore must be stopped.  Now, what health threat that would be hasn't been made clear and I have this feeling it never will.

I can't stand the look.  I can't even really put into words how much I hate seeing people's boxer shorts when I am out and about living my life.  But, that doesn't mean that I want to see people ticketed and fined for their lack of fashion sense.

What I find so fascinating about it is how many people on the right are cheering this notion.  Really?  You want the government to tell people what they can and cannot wear out in public?  You think that is limited government?

If we are going to start telling people what they can and cannot wear when they leave their homes, we no longer live in a free society.  Now, if a business wants to put up a sign saying that they have a certain dress code in order to enter their establishment, that is another story.  They are free to do so and the free market will decide if that hurts their business or not.  But to say that the simple act of walking your dog on a public street requires a dress code is a bridge too far in my view.

What is next?  I mean I think the science is pretty clear that high heels can and do cause damage to women's feet.  Will they be outlawed?  Do you really want the government to tell you that you are not allowed to wear that four inch spiked heal that makes your little black dress look complete?  I don't think so.  I personally can't wear high heals anymore, but back in my younger days I wore them all the time.  I could even run in them back in the day.  My feet, my choice.  Another look that I can't stand is how bra straps are now somehow fashion.  If we are going to outlaw saggy pants I think want bra straps showing to be illegal too.  It is just as ugly.

People should have the right to dress like an idiot if they want to.  As I said I hate this look, but in reality they aren't showing anything that shouldn't be seen in public.  They are covered.  It really is no different than some women wearing a sheer shirt with a tank underneath, and plenty of women do wear that look out in public.

In a free society people are going to do and wear things that you don't like.  It isn't the place of the government to tell us how to dress.  For those on the right that think these laws are a good thing, please turn in your limited government card on your way out.  You don't really believe it, you just use it to further your own agenda of the government telling us how to live our lives.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative