Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Incredible Ego of Anthony Weiner

As we all know Anthony Weiner has decided that he wants to be New York City's next mayor.  Now let's be honest here, he won't be all that much of  a step down from Nanny Bloomberg, but he really does expect people to forget his perv past.  Apparently he doesn't even like it when a democrat questions him on it.  District leader Chris Owens asked:
“I have a three-word question: How dare you?”
“I am outraged and disgusted by you.  Both by what you did and by the fact that you have the arrogance to run for mayor.
“I want to understand how you explain to us how you used a public facility to tweet offensive material to . . . minors you did not know, you then lied about it . . . and now you come back.”
His response:
“I appreciate the question Chris, and I know some people may feel that way.
“I think it might be influenced in part . . . [because] I supported Yvette Clarke over you when you ran for Congress [in 2006.]”
“I apologize to you, but now people have to decide whether or not that disqualifies me.
“Frankly, everyone wasn’t going to vote for me whether I did that or not.”
But he fully expects people to vote for him in spite of it:

When asked about how he handle a teacher accused of doing the same type of thing his response was:
“If you believe that my personal failings disqualify me, then don’t vote for me. I’m going to win this election and I’m going to govern this city really well. You’re supporting another candidate who’s not going to win.”
Sadly I am not even stunned by this.  I should be, but I am not.  This is what our government has come to.  We elect people who have shown through their actions that they can't be trusted.  The truth is this, we get the government that we deserve.  When we have candidates that can text obscene photos of their private parts to underage strangers and they truly believe that they still have a political future there can be no wonder why our country is in such a mess.

Elected officials are entrusted with tax payers dollars, they make choices that affect how we live our daily lives, and expecting them to be someone who has character and sense of decency isn't a great deal to ask.  We all make mistakes, we all have things in our lives that we wish we could take back, but sexting pics of your penis and various stages of undress, while in a building that is paid for by the tax payers, really is a step too far.  The fact that he even may have a chance to become an elected official again is nothing short of tragic.

Do we really have any chance of turning this ship around if this is the type of people we elect?   Congressman Mark Sanford should not be in congress and Anthony Weiner shouldn't be the next mayor of New York City.  Morality matters, no matter what letter you put after your name.

1 comment:

LL said...

Maybe his candidacy is a referendum on his penis. If you like his penis, you vote for him. If not, you'll have to find another Democrat to run New York.

Yes, it all belongs in the theater of the absurd but it fits comfortably within the ObamaNation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Google Analytics Alternative